Friday, March 2, 2007

Z for Zero


I'm don't know what it is, but my blog entry titles seem to be getting worse and worse. Anyway. I'm not sure if this is just a temporary feeling or if its a true conclusion that I've come to. But today, as I saw one pass me, I decided that I really don't like the Nissan 350Z. It seems like one of those wannabe sports cars that's more affordable making it all that more accessible to posers. By no means do I think it's the most terrrible car on the planet, nor the ugliest, but I think it just gets way to much credit and love for a car that's just ok.

The opinion is similar to say something like Michael Bay films. If Michael Bay films didn't make so much money and didn't draw so much crowds, I'm sure people would be less critical of him. Of course The Island wasn't a great film, but I'd be hard pressed to watch Cop and a Half before I watch The Island. Same with the 350Z. Of couse I would have the 350Z over a Hyundai Accent or a Dodge Neon or a Saturn whatchamacallit, but a lot of people love the 350Z and that's why I'm criticizing it.

Yeah, ok, it was probably the most exciting car Nissan released in a while when it came out. But when I really sit down and look at it - it's kind of an ugly car. The front's not bad, but the back sucks. What's worse is the carbiolet version of it - man does it ever look ugly. The orange colour was nice when the car debutted, but now it's just getting old (almost like that puke dirty yellow the M3 came out in - I actually liked it when it came out, but now it's kinda ugly).

Here's just some measurement of my disdain for the 350Z. I would rather have the following cars before I'd take a 350Z: Honda Civic, Volvo S60, Nissan Maxima, Honda Accord, and new Ford Mondeo. Now of course I'd want a Porsche, an S2000, and a WRX before I want a 350Z, but that doesn't really guage my dislike for the 350Z.

It's not so much the performance of the car, it's more the styling. The more I see it, the more I hate it.

I will tell you this though. I absolutely LOVE the styling of the Infiniti G Coupe. I know it's essentially the same frame work, but the curves and minimalist styling works so much better. The G Coupe in fact is one of the most beautiful cars on the market today in my opinion. And even the spy photos of the new Skyline that borrows styling from the 350Z looks pretty decent. There's something just so cheap looking about the 350Z.

Now don't get me wrong, if one of my friends got one of these, I'd be all over it. And if someone offered me one, hell ya' I'd take one. But there's just so many other cars I'd rather have than the 350Z, and when it comes down to it, it's just a really overrated car - especially in the looks department. Thanks for reading.

No comments: