Monday, January 22, 2007

Celebrating the Light


Alright, so if you didn't read my last posting "Sitting in Darkness", do so now, 'cause this won't make any sense if you don't. I woke up this morning with my computer/MSN left on. So when I jumped out of my screensaver, my friend Jenn had left me a message "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, don't stop, it'll soon be here" in response to my "today sucks" MSN name. So perhaps, just perhaps, this was some foreshadowing for the way the day was gonna go. My basic dilemna remained. I have an IKEA lamp with a blown fuse. Do I buy another $19 IKEA lamp, or spend more than $19 on a fuse, solder, and soldering gun? Pros of the IKEA lamp: cheaper, no work involved. Cons: don't have a car to get to IKEA, I live in a furnished place, what do I do with the old one? What do I tell my landlord? Pros of fuse, solder, soldering gun: back to original way things were. Cons: cost more, not sure if it'll even work. But then my engineering mind kicked in. What if I just bought the solder and the fuse, I'd be paying less than $19 saving money by not buying the gun. And then just create my own home made holder and maintain metallic contact. So I got home late today, tried it out, and BOO-YEAH! My lamp is back in working order. Now of course any sudden jolts it'll break the circuit, but in the end, I'm damn proud and completely surprised that I was able to find the problem, much less fix it.

So, a note to anybody who has an electrical problem - if I can fix it, anybody can fix it. Seriously.

By the way, sorry for the boring traditional, what-happened-to-me-today blog entries recently, but one, I don't have anything else to write about recently, and two, I was frustrated about yesterday, and proud today that I had to tell somebody. So, thanks for reading.

No comments: