Monday, June 25, 2007

To Blog or Not to Blog


Hmmm, that really seems like a lazy title. So today, my buddy Arjay was considering starting a blog and asked me the profound question of what the appeal to blogging was. And although I had something to say - who's to say really what the appeal of blogging is?

There's really several reasons. I mean, for me - I think it's really the sense of little fame that I'll achieve from this blog. The idea that people are actually interested in what I have to say is always a nice feeling. When I get evidence that people I completely don't know are reading my blog - it always gets me a little bit excited. I think that's kind of the appeal of youtube too. People will post their videos for the little bit of fame they'll get for it. And really, there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's great that the internet provides a means that anybody's voice can be heard. Filmmakers, musicians, and even quote regular people who have something to say now have an audience.

I guess the other thing is that a lot of the time, I just have a lot on my mind and no one to really talk to - enter the blog. The nice thing about blogging, is that you can kind of just speak your mind without feeling the need to defend anything or fight for your beliefs. You just type, and people read. They either like or not. But you're never caught in a situation where you actually have to defend your point of view. It's a nice place to just speak.

The bonding's nice too. Think about it. You run into so many people in the world that you share common interests with. And when you find out you have that common interest with someone, you instantly feel a bond, a connection. And most of what I write about falls into that category. I was telling Arjay, it's like a comedian. Comedian's do a really good job of bringing light to situations that we all know - the basis of observational humour. We all know what they're talking about but they articulate it in words to make it entertaining and funny.

I guess that's what I kind of feel like as a blogger. I take situations that everyone knows about and articulate it in a way that's hopefully interesting. I mean that whole Klondike Big Cookie Sandwich posting - c'mon, I can't be the only person who loves that treat. But I'm probably one of the small percentage in the world that would actually right about it's perfection. And the other people in that small percentage will read it and say "Hey, that's so true."

I suppose other people have various other reasons for blogging. Some people have very personal diary style blogs. I've never found that super interesting. Of course you'll probably follow those blogs if they're family related, or if you have a crush on that person, or if you're just a really good friend who's interested in your friends' lives. But I found those blogs or more for the bloggers themselves. And that's totally cool - after blog stemming from the word web log, it just makes sense. It's just it never interested me in writing entries that detail my day to day activities.

Rather, I take something in my day to day activities and then turn it into something that might be interesting to read for others - not just my friends and family. For example, when I found out that Nestea Green Tea had more calories than regular Nestea - it was part of my daily activities, but I turned it into a "did you know" kind of article.

Basically, when it comes down to it - bloggers main blog for themselves. Or at least that's what I think. I basically blog for myself. I basically just speak what's on my mind. If other people happen to be interested in what I have to say - that's all the better. I'm not gonna pretend that the audience aspect doesn't play a huge part in the reason I blog - but again, the audience factor plays into a reason that benefits me. Kind of the no-selfless act theory.

So my advice?

Sites like Blogspot have made it so easy to start a blog. It's one of the main reasons I started. Because of this, really it's an awesome venue to get your voice out there, keep in touch with family and friends, or just keep a diary of what going on in your life (sometimes the greatest part about having a blog is going back to your old posts). If nothing else, it gives y ou something to do in your spare time.

I love blogging, there's nothing really else to it.

Before I go, all this talk about blogging I thought I'd give a shout out to all my fellow bloggers and tell you a little bit about 'em.

Black River Paddle Company
This is my buddy Chris' blog. It's basically the website to his Paddle company. Definitely check it out and support his business.

Canadian Civil Service Reform
This is my buddy Dave's blog which doesn't really update much, but I'm sure if you guys visit it enough, you can bug him to start posting.

Convoluted Coalescence
Andrew's blog. Andrew is one of my friend's who blogs about some pretty cool things (like random celebrity encounters) and other randomness in his life.

Joining the Masses
Alicia is a friend who I met purely through blogging - she's been nice enough to visit my site multiple times and drop me some comments. She updates nearly everyday, and has a lot to say.

Miscellaneous Debris
This is NIk's blog which hasn't been updated in awhile, but features some really cool photography that he has taken over the years.

Nancy and Lee's Amazing Belizian Adventures
This is a couple I know from my University days. They took a trip to Belize and diary'd (is that a word?) it on blogspot.

Nelson
This is a blog that was started by two of my good friends from back home, Aaron and Brodie. This is a blog that in the same realm as mine - basically random thoughts and feelings that we share with the world in a semi-structured article form.

So that gives you a taste of just what's out there - and that's only 7 out of 50 billion gillion blogs out there. Be sure to browse 'em.

So that's it. To blog or not to blog? Who knows, but when it comes down to it, it's a part of my life that I don't see going away for awhile. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

David Hammel said...

I will admit that I haven't updated much, but my blogging days have only begun...

I did 2 on the weekend and promise at least one a week from now on.