Thursday, February 1, 2007

He Won't Shia Way


Alright, some of my pun titles are just not so great, so forgive it. I was going to do something along the lines of "I have a beef, a LaBeef" but then realized that beef in french is spelt "boeuf" not "beouf". This will all make sense in a second.

Alright, so a couple of years, perhaps more, I fell in love with a movie called October Sky. For those who haven't seen it, it's one of my all time favourite feel-good-chase-your-dream movies. Playing a lead role for the first time, we were introduced to Jake Gyllenhaal. He did an amazing performance and delivers one of my favourite speeches in feel-good movie history. Such a good performance in fact, that I followed his career shortly after. News came out about a movie called Donnie Darko. Before we knew it, Jake was on his way making blockbusters like The Day After Tomorrow, small respectable films like Proof and Moonlight Mile, and oscar nominated flims like Brokeback Mountain. He had risen to be such a good actor when a lot of us spotted him way back in October Sky. I'd be impressed if anybody spotted him way back in City Slickers.

Well, my next call is Shia LaBeouf. You heard it here first. I mean he's already a pretty big star, and a decent amount of people know about him, but there are still people who say "who?" when you mention his name. Like October Sky, a feel-good-chase-your-dream movie, for me, Shia LaBeouf was introduced to me in The Greatest Game Ever Played. Now that movie wasn't nearly as good as October Sky, but to me it showed that Shia could act. He had a small role in I, Robot, but The Greatest Game Ever Played was his first lead. Then he went on to A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Surf's Up (which btw, imo, looks way better than Happy Feet - am I the only one against Happy Feet?) and now, the hugely anticipated Transformers movie and what looks like a remake of Rear Window, Disturbia. My guess is, he's gonna be the next big young actor. I already respect his work, but his name is gonna start popping up everywhere.

Again, you heard it hear first. Thanks for reading.

No comments: