The issue is in Adobe After Effects and Masks.
Here's the setup
- You have some layer (shape, picture, footage, whatever)
- You add a layer Mask
- You edit the Mask over time by setting keyframes on the Mask Path property
- Anytime you try to move a single point on the Mask Path - the entire mask path moves - regardless of if you have the Pen Tool or Selection Tool selected
So yes - most posts ands forum responses I've seen talk about - "Make sure you have the Pen Tool" selected - so that way you're in path editing mode and then you should be able to move the individual points. I tried ad nausea and I couldn't get this to work.
- It all had to do with what was selected in the timeline. I had the Mask selected (that is, the Mask property that shows up when you twirl down the layer itself) - which is wrong. This was the issue.
- Once I selected the layer itself and NOT the mask, I could then select the Pen Tool and edit the points individually.
Kind of strange - but yeah - select the Layer and not its mask if you want to edit the Mask points individually. And yes - use the Pen Tool.
(note this is in Adobe After Effects CS6 - not sure about other versions).
Hope this helps out some peeps.